So...I went on the tour yesterday. The place is pretty freaking awesome. I was really impressed and now want to go to school there all the more. I think I even have a really good chance of getting accepted if I applied to go to school. But...I'm getting ahead of myself.
So...on this tour I was shown all the main hands on training rooms. Giving a bit of info on exactly what they teach and how they teach it. Seems that the next trimester starts in November. Seems the 3 trimesters start in March, July, and November. The classes would be 2 days a week for 4 months. The place even helps with Job Placement when you complete school, and allows full lifetime use of the facilities of any school all over the US. Everything they are talking about is the exact type of school that I wish I would have known about after I graduated High School.
I went to college for a semester at the University of Houston. Partly my heart wasn't in it because my mother had just passed away and I don't think I was ready to handle it. Add to the fact that most of my teachers for the classes that acted towards my Major (cinematography) all basically told the class that none of us would get anywhere within the industry specifically because we were in their classes and not currently out in the field doing it. I'm sorry...but that's not how you get a class motivated. At first I thought maybe the teachers were just saying that to weed out some people and that they would work with the people who stayed. However the longer I was in the class the more I saw that the Teachers didn't care. Hell...half the time they didn't show up. One teacher actually told me to my face "Look...you're in my class so that tells me you at least have a passing interest in film. However...if you were truly serious about it, you wouldn't be in my class. You'd be out there making films in Hollywood or whatever. So since you aren't serious about it...why should I be bothered to be serious about teaching you anything." This pissed me off and I dropped out.
This place is different from that. The people there want to teach you everything you need to know. The classes are only a hand full of people so that everyone can get hands on training with all the equipment. They had teachers there helping current students on their off day because the student wasn't quite grasping something he was taught the previous day in class. In other words, the teacher came in on his day off to help teach a student. That's something you don't see very often.
So...in other words...this place wowed me. At the very end, they told me not to give them my answer on if I wanted to go there or not, but to just go home and think it over. They will call me back today and talk it over with me some more. Afterwords, if I still want to attend they'll start working with me. So that's what I did. I went home. I called and talked to my Sister about it. All she focused on was the money aspect of things. "how would you pay for it?" "How are you going to afforde a career change?" stuff like that. Mostly pointing out the monetary aspect of things. It almost seemed like she was trying to talk me out of it. I half expected her to tell me to continue working my current job even though I extremely hate it since the money is good. She came close a few times, but never did. I understand what she was saying. She was just looking out for me. She was trying to stress that if I wanted to do this, I needed to think it through completely and not make any rash decisions. I also talked to my brother who said some similar things, but seemed a but more supportive while being causious about things. He was was telling me I should do...but to be careful when it comes to certain things. Both were saying the same thing basically just different levels of it.
I also talked with my room mate, Chuck. He's being very supportive. So are my other friends. They've known me for a long time and know I've been unhappy with my job, and need a change. Chuck even pointed out that since I started looking into this school that I seem happier than normal. So that's nice I guess.
So in the title, why did I say I was a little depressed? Well..everything is great. I want to go to this school, and I have a feeling that if I applied, I'd get in. What's the problem?
The problem is Tuition. It's a lot of money. Compared to other schools of this nature, it's actually pretty cheap (I know, I went and researched all that stuff last night). However, it's still the kind of money I don't have. So there's where I'm a bit depressed. I want to go...and I'm pretty sure the school will want me. But I can't afford it. Not to mention the fact that I'm a bit hesitant to get a Student Loan cause of the fact that:
A.) I have bad credit
B.) I honestly think that if I could get approved that the interest rate would be so high it wouldn't be worth it.
C.) I don't think I'd get approved.
So there you go.
Also of note...while typing this up my manager came by to have a 1 on 1 with me. I went and talked to him for a while. Explained to him that I'm wanting to go back to school. He seemed pretty open to the idea. Even gave me some suggestions for things I could do within Dell to help out (I.E. Pointed me in the direction of some departments I might want to apply to, so I can get into a higher paygrade). I'll have to look into that.
well that's all for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment